St. Agnes Spanish
K-8th Grade Curriculum Highlights
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language that goes to his heart.” –Nelson Mandela
Señora Yoly’s Philosophy: As a first generation Cuban-American, Yoly has had the amazing experience of being raised with two languages. She understands the opportunities and blessings which have come her way due to being bilingual. As a teacher, she is passionate about providing her students with some of these same opportunities. She truly believes when you open a child’s mind to different countries, cultures, politics, history, language, foods, art, holidays, music, and dance, it helps students to compare and connect with other people around the world. She loves being a teacher and working with her students.
St. Agnes students will learn prayers in Spanish (Glory Be, Hail Mary, etc.). Grades Preschool-6th will have Cultural Awareness throughout the year. This will include wonderful festivals, holidays, Spanish Saints’ Days, art, music, countries and culture.
- Colors: Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, White, Black
- Numbers: 0-10
- Animals: Pets
- Family: Mother, Father, Son, Daughter
- Body Parts: Face
- Colors: Pink, Purple, Grey, Gold, Sliver
- Numbers: 10-20
- Animals: Farm
- Family: Aunt, Uncle, Grandfather, Grandmother
- Body: Parts
- Days of the week
- Numbers: 20-40
- I like/ I don’t like….
- I need
- Polite Words
- Common Phrases
- Nouns: Part 1
- Numbers 0-60
- Alphabet/ Dictionary
- Where is…
- Nouns: Part 2
- Definite/Indefinite Articles
- What is it?
- Reading/Writing Spanish
- Conjugation ar
- Verbs Review
- Conjugation: ar/er/ir
- Conjugation sentences
- Skits: Restaurant
- Verbal Presentation
- Children’s Book
Spanish 1 (Elective)- Fall Semester
- Open to all 7th graders and new 8th grade students.
- Review of verbs
- Review of Conjugation sentences
- Reading and Writing Poetry
- Irregular Verbs
- Skits: Commercial
Spanish 2 (Elective)-Spring Semester
- Open to 8th graders.
- Get students ready for high school Spanish; students who would like to test out of Spanish 1 at Miege.
- Review: Past materials (Time, Adjectives, Nouns, Pronouns, Conjugation, etc.)
- Skit: News report
Spanish Culture-Fall or Spring Semester
- Available for 7 & 8th Graders
- Study culture, geography, politics, food, and religion of different Spanish speaking countries.
- Verbal and written reports are expected.